It's kind of a big deal...

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

An Interesting Experience...

Today at school I had an interesting experience that really got me thinking about the life I lead, and how incredible lucky I am! Each year BACA (Bikers Against Child Abuse) puts on a "presentation" called, "The Clothes Line Project." It is a project that is going against abuse, whether it be sexual insest, physical, emotional, spiritual, or sexual. They find willing victim-volunteers who basically write their message of abuse on t-shirts, and then all the shirts are hung along clothes lines to be presented to the public so we can either read their stories, or see their reactions or feelings towards what happened to them. It was a very, very powerful exerience. It was very reverent and quiet, and each shirt was so unique. Some were stories, and some of the stories were so graphic it made me shiver. Others were stories of forgiveness, and some were words of complete anger. One that got my attention in particular was a shirt that said, "If God loves us so much why does he allow abuse to exist?" The question weighed on my mind all day, and I believe I have the conclusion that at least offers me a bit of comfort. Our very loving Heavenly Father promised us trials in this life, but he also promised us so much happiness. It's one of those, "He won't give us anything we CAN'T HANDLE" situations. I know that those people who were abused were given it because Heavenly Father knew they could handle it and they would get through it. I cannot say I know how they feel, and I definitely cannot sit here and try to give advice. I just trust that Heavenly Father knows what he's doing, and he knows what people are going through. He didn't give us this life to be abused. It's like asking why Heavenly Father gives people mental and physical developmental problems. Those people were just too powerful to come down to Earth the way they were in Heaven. And the people who are abused are powerful enough to get over it. The whole "Clothes line project" was so unique and humbling, I cannot get it out of my head. I grieve for the people who had to go through such horrific events, but I also am SO grateful for the life I have. I am so lucky to be surrounded by people who truly love me, and I live with no fear in my life. (Except Earthquakes.) I wish I could thank everyone who has ever touched my life, because although I have had some negative experiences, I have never a negative experience that hurt me in any lasting way. My new goal is just to tell people thank you, and how much they mean to me. All of us have the ability to be incredibly powerful, no matter the situations we have been given. Go change the World.

-KT

No comments:

Post a Comment